a few friends I have given this link to have emailed and asked: "why is it called "Xiao Chow?" "what does it mean?" "...and where did I get it from?"
well first of all, "xiao" means small and most of us already know that "chow" can stand for eat... hence, Little Eat.
There are two reasons why I chose this to be the name of my blog:
1: Over the years I have heard Taiwanese use "Xiao" as an endearing expression to just about anything - pets, friends, kids, etc.... ; and as precursor to someone's name - making it sound cuter - for example Xiao Mei (Little Sister), Xiao Bai (Little White) or even Xiao Xiao (Little Little).
2: From my very first year in Taiwan, I have also come to know of "Xiao Chi" - literally translated to little eat... they refer to food stalls/stands as little eats/eatery.... must be due to the fact that everything is served in smaller portions and it's like a hit and run place... you sit order..eat fast... and go your own merry way... and one will never go hungry as there is Xiao Chi(s) just about every town, every district, or every street of Taipei. And this is also true for the rest of Taiwan.
So you see, there really is not fitting name for this blog as, Xiao Chow. It represents what I will be writing about most of the time.... endearingly. Hope to see you again soon in my area of the Xiao Lu (little street).
well first of all, "xiao" means small and most of us already know that "chow" can stand for eat... hence, Little Eat.
There are two reasons why I chose this to be the name of my blog:
1: Over the years I have heard Taiwanese use "Xiao" as an endearing expression to just about anything - pets, friends, kids, etc.... ; and as precursor to someone's name - making it sound cuter - for example Xiao Mei (Little Sister), Xiao Bai (Little White) or even Xiao Xiao (Little Little).
2: From my very first year in Taiwan, I have also come to know of "Xiao Chi" - literally translated to little eat... they refer to food stalls/stands as little eats/eatery.... must be due to the fact that everything is served in smaller portions and it's like a hit and run place... you sit order..eat fast... and go your own merry way... and one will never go hungry as there is Xiao Chi(s) just about every town, every district, or every street of Taipei. And this is also true for the rest of Taiwan.
So you see, there really is not fitting name for this blog as, Xiao Chow. It represents what I will be writing about most of the time.... endearingly. Hope to see you again soon in my area of the Xiao Lu (little street).


2 comments:
I think it is a perfect name, Rudi! I can't wait to read more.
thanks mary...will try to write as much as time permits.... or as much as I eat.... hehehehe
Post a Comment