CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 15, 2008

Mooncakes Galore

Each year, I so look forward to the Mid Autumn Festival as I know it will be raining moon cakes once again.... everywhere and in my house especially.... one of the PERKS of having two roomies working as journalists for leading newspapers in the country... each holiday comes a deluge of gifts, and at this time of the year, it is boxes and boxes full of moon cakes...

Moon cakes have always been fave of mine... Hopia in the Philippines... and in the US - Chinatowns everywhere serves them all year long.... so they become a regular thing for me... but having moved here, I have come to love them once again... and make sure that I wait for this time of the year to really get my fill... and feasts for the tummies they are!!!! Worth mentioning that the packaging they come in are also f\feasts for the eyes... colorful... intricate and beautiful... you almost want to savour them as much as you do the contents.....

WIKI Definition: Mooncakes (simplified Chinese: 月饼; pinyin: yuè bĭng) are Chinese pastry traditionally eaten during the Mid-Autumn Festival. Typical moon cakes are round or rectangular pastries, measuring about 10 cm in diameter and 4-5 cm thick. A thick filling usually made from lotus seed paste is surrounded by a relatively thin (2-3 mm) crust and may contain yolks from salted duck eggs. Mooncakes are rich, heavy, and dense compared with most Western cakes and pastries. They are usually eaten in small wedges accompanied by Chinese tea.

Possibly my HANDS DOWN FAVE this year is the one from STARBUCKS - not only is the packaging beautiful, the flavors the moon cakes comes in are truly delicious and different... imaging coffee flavored moon cakes -- YUMMY!!!

2 comments:

barbigirl said...

MMMMMMMMMMM Moon Cakes. At school the kids bring them to the teachers. I'll miss that part, LOL. Starbucks Moon Cakes, yummy, I wish our Starbucks here had them. MMMMMM I want Starbucks Moon Cakes!!!

wtsrudi said...

aaah... am sure you are missing those mooncakes indeed... did you check the one in CHinatown??? I heard in San Francisco they did......