
Some of the things I look forward to when going back to Manila (am sure my family will understand that some things precedes them - hehehehe) are the sweet desserts I remember growing up with.... the KAKANINs (sweets desserts).... I always say - I can forgo the actually meals... just give me cassava cake, bibingka, halo halo, etc.... I can have them every single day am visiting... and will be just fine... well, maybe not the tummy region, as they are all fattening, but I always figure -- I will just BURN all the excess calories later on..... as soon as I get back to my regular life and routine....
Living in Taipei it is a bit harder to find these.... but now and again, when I am able to attend church services at St Christopher's in Chang Chun Rd - I get to treat myself with whatever is available from the local , really small, Filipino community nearby... mostly Ginataan, turon (fried banana) - LOVE IT!, or puto & kutsinta.....
My BEST new FIND or HANG OUT is the mini-bibingka stall at the Shangrila Mall - Edsa.... these sweet piny cakes have always been a favorite of mine... no longer had to wait for XMAS to have them - which is what we did growing up in San Francisco.... but when in Manila, and for only 45pesos - just a tad over US$1, I can have it everyday -- and I DO!!!
am sure all these names are foreign to most of you -- but next time you happen upon a Filipino community, restaurant or grocery store - do check them out... try any of it... you just might find a new favorite dessert.... and believe me - they are all GREAT at all hours of the day!!!
oLdEr
-
I'm
So another Birthday has come and gone... This time around I did not get to
go back to Manila and celebrate with my family like I have the last 2 or 3 ...
10 years ago


0 comments:
Post a Comment